www.bonkas4x4wales.com forum
HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in


 rhondda cynontaff council

Go down 
robert francis

Number of posts : 4333
Age : 43
Location : wales
Job/hobbies : 4x4s
4x4 : land rover discovery 200tdi
Registration date : 2007-12-29

rhondda cynontaff council Empty
PostSubject: rhondda cynontaff council   rhondda cynontaff council Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 3:22 am

Public rights of way - general

There are approximately 750 kilometres of public rights of way managed by the Council. The network provides links between the countryside and towns and villages and enables the public to explore the local countryside and heritage.
rhondda cynontaff council 29401-1
What is a Public Right of Way?

A public right of way is a route registered on the Definitive Map under the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949. There are routes in towns, villages and the countryside, though footpaths are not to be confused with highway footways e.g. pavements on the side of the road.
Public Rights of Way are public footpaths, bridleways and byways. The council endeavours to ensure that public rights of way are signposted off roads and way marked along the paths. These are some of the signs to look for:
Footpaths - For use on foot only.
There are over 650 km of footpaths in Rhondda Cynon Taf.
rhondda cynontaff council 29401-2rhondda cynontaff council 29401-3
Bridleway - For use on foot, horse back and pedal cycle.
There are over 80 km of bridleways within Rhondda Cynon Taf.
rhondda cynontaff council 29401-4rhondda cynontaff council 29401-5
Byways - Open to all traffic including Motor Vehicles.
There are over 18 km of Byways within Rhondda Cynon Taf.
rhondda cynontaff council 29401-6
There are also permissive paths within the borough where the landowner including the Council has given permission and provision for the public to walk across their land. These paths are not recorded on the definitive map.
rhondda cynontaff council 29401-7
What are the Councilís responsibilities?

The Council works to maintain the public rights of way network with maintenance partnerships with parish and town councils. To maintain the public rights of way network we undertake the following task:

  • Signposts where paths leave a metalled road
  • Waymark routes where unclear
  • Maintain surface for walkers and horses (where appropriate)
  • Cutting and clearing vegetation
  • Install and maintain bridges
  • Undertake drainage works

Landowners or occupiers are responsible for controlling vegetation to ensure that the route is always open for use by the public. Landowners also have a duty to maintain stiles and gates on footpaths and bridleways in a good order.
Contact Us

For more information about where to walk please contact us:
Llwyn Castan
Library Road
CF37 2YA
Telephone: 01443 400563
Fax No: 01443 405184
Email: ParksCountryside@rhondda-cynon-taff.gov.uk
How do you rate this information / service?

Content authorised by: Leisure, Parks & Countryside
Last revised
Back to top Go down
rhondda cynontaff council
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.bonkas4x4wales.com forum :: General :: Useful Numbers-
Jump to: