www.bonkas4x4wales.com forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.bonkas4x4wales.com forum

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Defender brake problems

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wafu_morris

wafu_morris

Male
Number of posts : 71
Job/hobbies : Royal Navy Armed Forces
4x4 : 200tdi Defender 90 truck cab
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Defender brake problems Empty
PostSubject: Defender brake problems   Defender brake problems Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 8:49 am

Ever since finishing my 90 build, the brakes on the truck were rubbish. Trouble being i couldn't remember which way to plum the brake lines up from the servo, when it gets divided up for the FWD/AFT/byias valve to the calipers. I tried them either way round and could notice no difference (rear axle always locked up, but can't get the front to).
Has anyone got a desent diagram/ photo on how the brake lines should be plumed up???????????????

I've recently replaced both axles for Td5 defender one's giving my disc brakes all round hoping for a mssive improvement, but still the brakes won't lock up the front axle?!?!

Any ideas guy's?!?!?!

Cheers Chris

Back to top Go down
http://www.yahoo.co.uk
nilo
bonkas greenlanes marshal
nilo

Male
Number of posts : 576
4x4 : Landrover Defender 110 ex military
Registration date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Defender brake problems   Defender brake problems Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 8:58 am

the brake line connection to the servo closest to bulkhead is the rear
the brake line connection to the servo closest to front grill is front if thats any help
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/nilobaggins
ormondstreet

ormondstreet

Number of posts : 454
Job/hobbies : gardener/horticultural instructor/fixing me land rover
4x4 : shogun V6 3.0L petrol
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Defender brake problems   Defender brake problems Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 9:06 am

are you sure the front calipers are working?
Back to top Go down
ormondstreet

ormondstreet

PostSubject: Re: Defender brake problems   Defender brake problems Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 9:20 am

as nilo says the top connection and bottom connection on the combination valve nearest the bulkhead is the rears and the top and bottom ones furthest away from bulkhead are the fronts (you've not mixed them up have you?)
another possibility is your front hoses are bulging, get someone to operate the brakes and have a good look/feel.
Back to top Go down
wafu_morris

wafu_morris

Male

PostSubject: Re: Defender brake problems   Defender brake problems Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 3:20 am

Front discs do operate, it will lock up on mud when the pedal is pushed really hard. Brake hoses are only 10 months old, can't see it being that.
I'll have a look if i have mixed them up this weekend when i get back from work. No bloody drawing in the haynes manual.
Only thing i can think of is that the byias valve/master cylind/ etc is off the donar defender 110 i used. Don't think the byias valve works??????

Any other ideas?????
Back to top Go down
ormondstreet

ormondstreet

PostSubject: Re: Defender brake problems   Defender brake problems Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 5:02 am

the 90 and 110 have different valves and the 110 one has some kind of by-pass set up if there is a problem in either circuit.
if you send me your e-mail address I will scan the page/s from the LR manual and e-mail them to you.
Back to top Go down
wafu_morris

wafu_morris

Male

PostSubject: Re: Defender brake problems   Defender brake problems Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 5:11 am

Address sent, thanks very much!!
Back to top Go down
ormondstreet

ormondstreet

PostSubject: Re: Defender brake problems   Defender brake problems Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 5:21 am

I've just re-read the section and allthough the valves are different it apears that they work in much the same way, if anything the 110 one is a better set up, so it could be a dodgy vave. (what happened to your 90 one?)
Back to top Go down
wafu_morris

wafu_morris

Male

PostSubject: Re: Defender brake problems   Defender brake problems Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 6:34 am

Haven't got a 90 one! All those bit came off the 2.25l, A reg defender 110 i used as a donar vehical. Full front bodywork, seatbox, dash, axles (recently changed), LT77 box, brake servo, clutch etc. The rest came from various 90's, such as the chassis, rear tub, truck cab etc.

Typical Bitza lol

If you could send me those pics, would most appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Defender brake problems   Defender brake problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Defender brake problems
Page 1 of 1