www.bonkas4x4wales.com forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.bonkas4x4wales.com forum

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing

Go down 
+6
Neil
matt300tdi
Jonathan stott
tony
brava199
gunner25187404
10 posters
AuthorMessage
gunner25187404

gunner25187404

Male
Number of posts : 356
4x4 : disco 300tdi THE BEAST
Registration date : 2011-09-17

ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Empty
PostSubject: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 3:22 am

PUT NEW PUMP ON NEW TIMING BELT TURNES OVER AND START (BUT!!) IT WILL ONLY REV UPTO 3/3 HALF THOUS REVS TAKE FOOT OFF PEDAL AND IT SEEMS TO WANT TO CUT OFF DOES A LITTLE DANCE AND SHAKE AND THEN TICKS OVER AGAIN IM THINKING THAT THE CAM SPROKET IS OUT ONE TOOTH ANY IDEA ARE HELPFULL AS I REALY WANNA COME SUNDAY THX ALL
Back to top Go down
http://www.bonkas4x4wales.com
brava199

brava199

Male
Number of posts : 176
Job/hobbies : student motobikes fishing play with tools
4x4 : vaxhall brava
Registration date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 5:20 am

gunner25187404 wrote:
PUT NEW PUMP ON NEW TIMING BELT TURNES OVER AND START (BUT!!) IT WILL ONLY REV UPTO 3/3 HALF THOUS REVS TAKE FOOT OFF PEDAL AND IT SEEMS TO WANT TO CUT OFF DOES A LITTLE DANCE AND SHAKE AND THEN TICKS OVER AGAIN IM THINKING THAT THE CAM SPROKET IS OUT ONE TOOTH ANY IDEA ARE HELPFULL AS I REALY WANNA OME SUNDAY THX ALL
. Coukd be timing is out or crap in the injects also bad fuel. But I'm more bike related won't hurt to check
Back to top Go down
tony
Admin
Admin
tony

Male
Number of posts : 3629
Job/hobbies : carpenter / offroad ham radio
4x4 : landrover 90 200tdi
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 6:06 am

Change the fuel filter and air filter see if that helps
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/tonyakv
Jonathan stott
Bonkas Member
Jonathan stott

Male
Number of posts : 489
Job/hobbies : Hgv driver,beer,offroading,beer
4x4 : 1966 series 2a V8,1995 Discovery 300tdi auto
Registration date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 10:26 am

Sounds like timing out to me,re-check it and if that don't work try adjusting the pump on the bolts.
Back to top Go down
gunner25187404

gunner25187404

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 9:14 pm

Jonathan stott wrote:
Sounds like timing out to me,re-check it and if that don't work try adjusting the pump on the bolts.

on the bolts do u mean the sprocket on the pump ?
Back to top Go down
Jonathan stott
Bonkas Member
Jonathan stott

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 1:34 am

Sorry,no the bolts that hold the pump to the engine,they're slotted to allow you to turn the pump clockwise/anticlockwise to alter pump timing.even though the sprocket might be timed up correctly with the pin through the cover if it's been adjusted on the pump or you've not got it in the right position the timing could be out still.
Best way to do it is just nip the bolts so you can still move the pump,start the engine and then turn the pump a bit at a time either way until it runs best,you'll know if you've gone too far as you'll get diesel knock from the engine.
Back to top Go down
matt300tdi

Male
Number of posts : 68
Job/hobbies : Fabricator/11mradio/off roading
4x4 : 96 disco xs and 100 inch defender on 35's
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 3:13 am

did you fit the new pump with the sprocket centre still fitted? or did you fit it without i.e just the shaft no sprocket centre/sprocket fitted? if you fitted it without the sprocket centre/sprocket then you would more than likely have lost the pump timing (unless you had the pump locked for fitting) if you did then as the boys have said above try re timing the engine but when you time the pump undo the three bolts on the pump and with the timing bolt fitted turn the sprocket as far as you can anti clockwise that will then give you as much advance as you can get and if still not right you can then back of slightly with the adjustment you have left on the three bolts to retard the pump hope this makes sense
Back to top Go down
http://Www.dragon downhill.co.uk
Neil

Neil

Male
Number of posts : 897
Job/hobbies : motor trade
4x4 : disco v8
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 8:41 am

i'm with mr stott
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/album/563671518IJOJBu
gunner25187404

gunner25187404

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 6:05 am

hi it had the centre sproket fitted i took it off my old engine flywheel locked in injection timing pin in everything lined up still cant get it to go anyother ideas i wanna come 2moz ill be gutted lol tryed lift pump thats working changed stop sol again all turbo hoses are fine, lost now ?????
Back to top Go down
Baz
bonkas greenlanes marshal
Baz

Male
Number of posts : 850
Job/hobbies : offroading mountain bikeing
4x4 : Looking for new truck
Registration date : 2010-12-25

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 7:41 am

timeing out fual filter you fecked the pump up on chip oill rember so that filter blocked brob
Back to top Go down
gunner25187404

gunner25187404

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 1:53 pm

shit i missed mr scotts last post will try that 1st thing new fual filter baz and was old chip oik its was proper bio diesel
Back to top Go down
gunner25187404

gunner25187404

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 5:32 pm

Jonathan stott wrote:
Sorry,no the bolts that hold the pump to the engine,they're slotted to allow you to turn the pump clockwise/anticlockwise to alter pump timing.even though the sprocket might be timed up correctly with the pin through the cover if it's been adjusted on the pump or you've not got it in the right position the timing could be out still.
Best way to do it is just nip the bolts so you can still move the pump,start the engine and then turn the pump a bit at a time either way until it runs best,you'll know if you've gone too far as you'll get diesel knock from the engine.

been trying to do this for about an hour cause i wanted to come 2day i cannot turn the pump at all they are not sloted i looked at my old pump and nether is that,,, am i missing something ??
Back to top Go down
Jonathan stott
Bonkas Member
Jonathan stott

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 6:20 pm

gunner25187404 wrote:
Jonathan stott wrote:

been trying to do this for about an hour cause i wanted to come 2day i cannot turn the pump at all they are not sloted i looked at my old pump and nether is that,,, am i missing something ??

i was sure the pump timing was adjusted on the three bolts that hold it to the engine but I was wrong,sorry.
To alter the pump timing you adjust it on the three bolts that hold the sprocket to the pump itself,so if it's not in the right position timing could be out.
Back to top Go down
gunner25187404

gunner25187404

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 1:13 am

timeing has got to be right ive done it 4 times now on off on off,,,, im thinking maybe its head gasket white smoke power loss hmmm?? so will change that after i cheek the tank if that dont sort it will get new injectors if that dont sort it,,,, bombs away lol
Back to top Go down
Foxy
Bonkas Member
Foxy

Male
Number of posts : 969
Job/hobbies : 4x4's / motorbikes
4x4 : None at present
Registration date : 2009-04-25

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 1:51 am

Check the head for cracks while its off
Back to top Go down
suzuki jimny fella
winch challenge marshal
suzuki jimny fella

Male
Number of posts : 701
Job/hobbies : metal polisher and welder
4x4 : suzuki jimny
Registration date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 2:38 am

try the water trap on the back fuel line mate remove the water trap an put a bit of pipe there instead bypass that might work
Back to top Go down
http://www.bonkas4x4wales.co.uk
gunner25187404

gunner25187404

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 6:00 am

i will get the head cheeked but i got a spare one if its foocked and the rear filter has been bypassed
Back to top Go down
tony
Admin
Admin
tony

Male
Number of posts : 3629
Job/hobbies : carpenter / offroad ham radio
4x4 : landrover 90 200tdi
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 12:35 pm

Get the Rac out sit in the houce and let them sort it Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/tonyakv
Jonathan stott
Bonkas Member
Jonathan stott

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 12:00 am

gunner25187404 wrote:
timeing has got to be right ive done it 4 times now on off on off

if you've not got the sprocket on the pump in the same position that it was on the old pump the pump timing could still be out even though the crank/camshaft/injector pump are all timed with the timing marks/ pins. Try slackening the three bolts that hold the sprocket on and adjust it on the slots either way to see of it makes a difference, you should be able to see marks where the bolts were originaly and set it to the same as before,just make sure you tighten the bolts before you run the engine.

Hope this makes sense Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gunner25187404

gunner25187404

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 2:33 am

Jonathan stott wrote:
gunner25187404 wrote:
timeing has got to be right ive done it 4 times now on off on off

if you've not got the sprocket on the pump in the same position that it was on the old pump the pump timing could still be out even though the crank/camshaft/injector pump are all timed with the timing marks/ pins. Try slackening the three bolts that hold the sprocket on and adjust it on the slots either way to see of it makes a difference, you should be able to see marks where the bolts were originaly and set it to the same as before,just make sure you tighten the bolts before you run the engine.

Hope this makes sense Very Happy

tryed moveing the sprocket with the 3 bolts
Back to top Go down
gunner25187404

gunner25187404

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 2:37 am

when i move it it ether start but dont run tidy or not start at all
u think i should try losening the big nut in centre if pump to move it over a little more ??
Back to top Go down
Jonathan stott
Bonkas Member
Jonathan stott

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 5:13 am

If you undo the big nut all that will happen is the spocket and flange will fall off the pump.
It must be something else that's your problem like an airleak or something.

To eliminate any air leaks in the fuel system you could fill a fuel can with diesel and put a pipe straight from the fuel can to the liftpump and bleed it up,if it runs ok then you must have a air leak between the liftpump and the tank.
Back to top Go down
gunner25187404

gunner25187404

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 7:36 am

will give that a go but was going to take pump off and move that flange thing round abit i got a tool that will keep the sproket inplace while the pump is out if yhat makes scence
Back to top Go down
Neil

Neil

Male
Number of posts : 897
Job/hobbies : motor trade
4x4 : disco v8
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 8:18 am

it makes no sense but thats why matt is there
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/album/563671518IJOJBu
nilo
nilo

Male
Number of posts : 576
4x4 : Landrover Defender 110 ex military

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 9:42 am

try taking the fuel pipe off on the sender and the fuel pump end .. with a small or any compressor blow the fuel line out .. put a sock on end see if anything catches in it .. can u drain fuel tank if any shit in it .. change filter if not already changed i would go down fuel starvation thats wot it sounds like to me .. had same on mine done all that and was sender .. but then thats another story lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/nilobaggins
nilo
nilo

Male
Number of posts : 576
4x4 : Landrover Defender 110 ex military

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 9:47 am

and bio diesel can grow a algae (weed) non smokeable but treatable ....
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/nilobaggins
gunner25187404

gunner25187404

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 1:16 pm

hmmm thx nilo will yake tank off 2moz and have a look at the sender have drained tank once and put new fual in but didnt think to have a gd look at that
Back to top Go down
matt300tdi

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 8:03 am

white smoke on a diesel engine is lean smoke i.e not enough fuel getting in to the engine, if altering the timing on the pump pulley via the three bolts is making the engine a non starter then the timing is out as it should not stop it running, best bet is to re-set the timing on the pins then retard the pump timing on the three bolts as far as possible (timing cog all the way clockwise on the pump slots) then mark a tooth on the pump and on the belt with tipex and advance the pump timing one tooth against the rest of the timing and check again (advance pump on belt by moving anti-clockwise one tooth) make sure you keep the crank and cam timed as normal and just advance the pump and try that!
Back to top Go down
Baz
Baz

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Jonathan stott wrote:
If you undo the big nut all that will happen is the spocket and flange will fall off the pump.

To eliminate any air leaks in the fuel system you could fill a fuel can with diesel and put a pipe straight from the fuel can to the liftpump and bleed it up,if it runs ok then you must have a air leak between the liftpump and the tank.
i think u should do this i had no end off fual probs on mine and i still think you got one run a pipe in to a can from the pump try starting it adjust pump timeing ass well you say you get the timeing so it will run ruff if you do that and run it off a can ov fual id be shocked if it dont run you put bad fual in it then it wouldnt run you are jumping the gun a pit i think i dont think u even need ed a new fual pump you going from one problem to the next with out fixing the first now you on about the head gone Shocked chill out man
Back to top Go down
gunner25187404

gunner25187404

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 10:45 pm

matt300tdi wrote:
white smoke on a diesel engine is lean smoke i.e not enough fuel getting in to the engine, if altering the timing on the pump pulley via the three bolts is making the engine a non starter then the timing is out as it should not stop it running, best bet is to re-set the timing on the pins then retard the pump timing on the three bolts as far as possible (timing cog all the way clockwise on the pump slots) then mark a tooth on the pump and on the belt with tipex and advance the pump timing one tooth against the rest of the timing and check again (advance pump on belt by moving anti-clockwise one tooth) make sure you keep the crank and cam timed as normal and just advance the pump and try that!

thank you for that matt i will ajust the pump timing as u have discribed hear nice 1 for this some usefull invo i didbt realis
Back to top Go down
gunner25187404

gunner25187404

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 11:02 pm

Baz wrote:
Jonathan stott wrote:

i think u should do this i had no end off fual probs on mine and i still think you got one run a pipe in to a can from the pump try starting it adjust pump timeing ass well you say you get the timeing so it will run ruff if you do that and run it off a can ov fual id be shocked if it dont run you put bad fual in it then it wouldnt run you are jumping the gun a pit i think i dont think u even need ed a new fual pump you going from one problem to the next with out fixing the first now you on about the head gone Shocked chill out man

baz thank you and i know ur trying to help but trust i have tryed the fual in a can strait to lift pump same problem ive drained the tank and put bio fual bk in same thing happening so im thinking that its got nothing to do with bio that it was pump all along now ive taken bio bk out and put diesel bk in, bypassed rear filter changed front filter again. blown out lines all normal,, now i have been looking everywhere about this problem, and things that have come up is is everything that come up that i havnt tryed is, head gesket, turbo, valve stems, this thing is driving me crackers but i do think that matts last update is very helpfull and hopefully will work..
Back to top Go down
Baz
Baz

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 12:24 am

lol i would have scraped it weeks ago Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gunner25187404

gunner25187404

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 2:36 am

no patience see m8 lol and you didnt spend almost £3000 yours, im one of those people who if i have a goal i seem to want to achive it even tho i might sling a spanner now and again lol Twisted Evil Cool Laughing
Back to top Go down
Baz
Baz

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 9:20 am

what you on about 3000 boy. no i no when im pissing in the wind and turn the other way and trust me dont get suzuki built like mine with out some patience and thay was not all done wth a fat wallet
Back to top Go down
gunner25187404

gunner25187404

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 10:26 am

Baz wrote:
what you on about 3000 boy. no i no when im pissing in the wind and turn the other way and trust me dont get suzuki built like mine with out some patience and thay was not all done wth a fat wallet

what are u on about /pissing in the wind and all that crap and i didnt do it with a fat wallet its taken me just under a year to get what ive wanted on it. and what i ment was if u spent as much as i have u wouldnt just scrap it,,,, if i hadnt spent so much i would have got ride af it and got another like im thinking of anyway and just swap everything over
Back to top Go down
matt300tdi

Male

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 7:45 am

rob got a good 300 engine up his place for not a lot of money with like 60 odd thousand miles on it rather tyhan scrap a good truck lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing    ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ANY IDEAS RUNNING BUT NOT RUNNING) disco is dancing
Page 1 of 1